Sunday, July 15, 2012

NZ World Champions!!!!

Now I have everyone's attention.

DO MORE FULL RUNS AND COMPETITIONS.

NZ has great paddlers and athletes but the one thing that lets us down time and time again is our ability to compete to our full potential.
In order to be a World champion we need to train harder than the current world champions and I believe some of our guys are very very close to that level. However, our athletes do very few fulls runs and are left trailing even further behind in terms of races to compete in at home.

Athletes, work together to make full runs sessions happen. Set courses together, time yourselves and each other and help each other improve. A target of 1000 full runs this year would be a great start. 500 would be an absolute minimum to bring yourselves up to a great racers level. Prepare as many of them like a race run as possible. How will you fit it in? Hey, I don't care if you ditch every other form of training for the year if you come back and you've done 1000+ full runs.

Parents, go and time the sessions and video the paddling for athletes to review.

Everyone, organize more races. 10 weekends a year would be a start, 15 even better.
 
If everyone works together on this goal in a big positive push, then I absolutely guarantee we'll be reading less and less blog posts that say "if it wasn't for the mistakes......"

I'm writing this now because it's fresh in my mind, I have the attention of lots of interested parties reading this blog and I truly believe after watching and experiencing these World Champs that they have the potential to reach the top.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Andy Full "a" shit! Do you realise that it's 3 full runs a day... Are you for real? Have you ever heard o the 10 000h rule? I reckon you should start with that... Honestly everyone can I have you attention 1000 full runs a year won't change shit!

Anonymous said...

Comments like the above is not constructive and does nothing for our sport. The comment above has brought attention to all that read it .... this person who wrote this is not committed to the future of our sport and has never experienced being a champion in this sport. Andy Fuller is passionate about winning and ensuring that our sport exceeds. Comments that Andy Fuller has made will ensure that the investment that our future generation and their parents make will have a return.

Keep up the good work Andy and keep doing what you do best. .... Encoraging our future generation to be winners and great leaders for the future. Your comments are valid and are celebrated within the international sporting community.

Rob Sperling said...

Well done to the whole team. Great reading too as you went along. I might have to get the Carters course up and running with 2 sets of 20 gates. Slow flowing water but handy to the Tauranga paddlers of all ages.

Andy Fuller/DayTwo said...

Thanks Anonymous number 2. Number one, not so much. Whoever you are, you should have tried to get to know me. I really have spent a lot of time trying wherever I can to help our sport. I know I can't keep all the people happy all of the time but I really wonder where anger like that comes from. Oh well, sleep well.....I am. Farewell everyone and good luck.

Brian said...

Come back to Wausau anytime... You guys are awesome! We couldn't ask for a nicer group of talented people.